The most valuable resource are conference publications (also called "papers"). A large majority of interesting (and high-quality) papers are available via one of the following digital libraries (free access for students of HS Augsburg, see below):
- ACM Digital Library (ACM = Association for Computing Machinery)
- IEEE Xplore Digital Library (IEEE = Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers).
While on campus of "Hochschule Augsburg" and while connected to our wireless network you can download any paper from the above libraries for free.
Interaction Research Conferences
This is a selection of the most important ones. People usually refer to them by their short name (e.g. CHI or INTERACT). There are many more (often more specialized) conferences and workshops.
- CHI: ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems
- INTERACT: IFIP TC.13 International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction
- ISS: ACM Conference on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces (formerly known as ITS and TABLETOP)
- UIST: ACM User Interface Software and Technology Symposium
- TEI: Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction
- 3DUI: IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces
- MobileHCI: ACM Conference on Human-Computer-Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services
B. Buxton, S. Greenberg, S. Carpendale, N. Marquardt (2012) Sketching User Experiences: The Workbook, Morgan Kaufmann, 262 pages.
B. Albert, T. Tullis (2013) Measuring the User Experience, 2. Edition, Morgan Kaufmann, 301 pages.
A. Oulasvirta, P.O. Kristensson, X. Bi, and A. Howes (2018) Computational Interaction, Oxford University Press, 432 pages.
J. Butler, K. Holden, W. Lidwell (2010) Universal Principles of Design, Rockport Publishers, 272 pages.
D. Wigdor, D. Wixon (2011) Brave NUI World: Designing Natural User Interfaces for Touch and Gesture, Morgan Kaufmann, 242 pages.
D. Saffar (2008) Designing Gestural Interfaces: Touchscreens and Interactive Devices, O'Reilly Media, 268 pages.
People and Groups
Here is a selection of research groups worth checking out for inspiration:
- User Interfaces Research Group (Antti Oulasvirta), Aalto University, Finland
- Future Interfaces Group (Chris Harrison), Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- Tangible Media Group (Hiroshi Ishii), MIT Media Lab, USA
- Autodesk User Interface Research Group, Autodesk Research, USA
- Dynamic Graphics Project, University of Toronto, Canada:
- HCI Group at Microsoft Research, USA:
- UCL Interaction Centre (Nicolai Marquardt and others), UCL, UK
- GroupLab (Saul Greenberg), University of Calgary, Canada
- Interactive Media Lab Dresden (Raimund Dachselt), TU Dresden
- Institut für Visualisierung und Interaktive Systeme (VIS) und Visualisierungsinstitut (VISUS) der Universität Stuttgart
- Lehrstuhl für Multimodale Mensch-Technik Interaktion (Elisabeth André), Universität Augsburg